Monday, February 2, 2009

Weekly wrap-up: 1/26/09-2/1/09

How did I do this week?

My average serving per day:
Grains: 6 oz
Fruits: 2 cups
Vegetables: 2 1/4 cups
Milk: 2 1/2 cups
Meats & beans: 5 oz
Oils: 4 teaspoons

Average cost per day: $5.05
Total cost for the week: $35.35

Overall, not a bad week. I met the budget with no problem, and was right on with the recommendation for grains and fruits, but fell a little short on veggies, milk, meat & beans, and oils (again).

I am going to start making goals for the next week, to try and keep me on track. This week, my goals are:
1. Try to find some new breakfast ideas...besides cereal!
2. Incorporate vegetables into meals besides dinner...it's hard to get the whole 2 1/2 cups into one meal. I need to try and spread it out more.
3. Get enough meats & beans every day. I have been trying to save money, so I haven't been buying as much meat. I need to remember to eat more meat substitutes (like peanut butter and almonds) as snacks to meet the recommendation.
4. This kind of ties in with #3: I need to try and get more healthy oils into my diet. I have yet to make the 6 teaspoons as a weekly average. One way to accomplish this is by eating more foods that contain them, like peanut butter and nuts, or cooking with olive oil.

Sometimes, though, life gets in the way of eating perfectly healthy-but that's okay...I have to do my best with what I've got! I do like a challenge though (in case that isn't obvious) so my overall goal is always to get a perfect average every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment