Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Breakfast-introducing the "Dena McMuffin"!
I tried something new for breakfast today. I topped a toasted "light" multi-grain english muffin with a fried egg (I don't know the proper name, but I cracked it in the skillet and broke the yolk so it would be flat), a Morningstar Farms soy sausage patty, and a slice of fat free American cheese. I also had a whole orange and a cup of fat free vanilla yogurt. This meal ended up being a little expensive (those Morningstar Farms products are a bit pricey), but it was delicious!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 1/2 oz whole (English muffin)
Fruits: 3/4 cup (medium size orange)
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 1 1/2 cups (1/2 from cheese and 1 from yogurt)
Meats & beans: 2 oz (1 from egg and 1 from "sausage" patty)
Oils: 2 teaspoons (sausage patty and the egg was fried in Smart Balance)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $2.60

Snack
I had a mixed berry Nutrigrain bar as my late morning/early afternoon snack before I went to the workout room during my lunch.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1/2 oz whole
The cost of this meal was approximately: $0.31


Lunch
I did about 30 minutes of very brisk walking on the treadmill today, followed by 15 minutes of ab work. It was a great workout! I brought some leftover whole wheat spaghetti (1 cup) and pasta sauce (3/4 cup) for lunch today, and topped it with a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. I knew if I left it in the fridge much longer, it would get thrown away and I have been trying to be better about wasting food. There is really no excuse for it! I also had a banana and a 6 ounce cup of fat free blueberry yogurt. This day is going by so fast...I suppose that's a good thing when you're at work :)

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 oz whole (spaghetti)
Fruits: 3/4 cup (medium size banana)
Vegetables: 3/4 cup (marinara sauce)
Milk: 1 cup (1/4 from cheese and 3/4 from yogurt)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.39

Dinner
Matt already had dinner going when I got home from work (he is so awesome!) We had Morningstar Farms soy veggie burgers with fat free American cheese on whole wheat buns, with Alexia potato wedges and steamed broccoli. I had about 1/2 cup of the potatoes and a cup of broccoli with a teaspoon of Smart Balance Light. I also decided to finish up the grapes-there was about a cup left, but I only ate about 3/4 cup because some of them were a little too squishy for me. These probably wouldn't have made it another day either...no wasting!!
Tonight I did 3 hip-opening yoga stretches: Baddha Konasana (bound angle pose)
, Gomukhasana (cow face pose), and Agnistambhasana (fire log pose). I chose these because my hips have been feeling very tight lately (probably from sitting too much), and also because these are all good for stress relief. I can never get enough of that! I stayed in each one for about 2 minutes. It felt so good, and really made me want to get back into a regular practice.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 1/2 oz whole (bun)
Fruits: 3/4 cup (grapes)
Vegetables: 1 1/2 cups (broccoli and potatoes)
Milk: 1/2 cup (cheese)
Meats & beans: 2 1/2 oz (veggie burger)
Oils: 2 teaspoons (1 from burger and 1 from Smart Balance)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $2.56

How did I do today?
Grains: 6 oz out of 6 oz (all were whole)
Fruits: 2 1/4 cup out of 2 cups
Vegetables: 2 1/4 cups out of 2 ½ cups
Milk: 2 1/4 cups out of 3 cups
Meats & beans: 4 1/2 oz out of 5 ½ oz
Oils: 4 tsp out of 6 tsp

Total cost for the day: $6.86

No comments:

Post a Comment