Friday, February 6, 2009

Breakfast
It's my early day at work, so I am going to be half asleep today until I can fuel up with enough caffeine!
I had coffee and an 8 oz glass of OJ (before I left the house), then a Fiber One bar, an apple, a 6 oz cup of fat free vanilla yogurt, and a small bran muffin throughout the morning. On days like this, I find it's best to "graze" because I am awake for such a long time, and need lots of energy to keep going.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 oz whole (1/2 from granola bar and 1 1/2 from muffin)
Fruits: 2 cups (OJ and apple)
Vegetables: 1/2 cup (baked chips)
Milk: 3/4 cup (yogurt)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.59

Lunch
It was nearly 60 degrees today, so I went for a walk outside with a friend today during lunch. It was so nice to be exercising outdoors, since it's been unbearably cold for the last few weeks! When I returned (although we did think about not coming back!) I had a PB&J on whole wheat Sara Lee bread, along with a 1 ounce bag of baked Ruffles potato chips (freebies that we have around in the office) and a 6 ounce cup of fat free blueberry yogurt.


All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 oz whole (bread)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 1/2 cup (baked chips)
Milk: 3/4 cup (yogurt)
Meats & beans: 2 oz (peanut butter)
Oils: 2 teaspoons (peanut butter)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.24

Dinner
I was so tired when I got home this afternoon, but I pushed myself to work on a project anyway and I'm almost done! One down, and...I don't want to think about how many more to go, but there are several. I also have two tests next week that I have yet to start studying for...that will be my goal tomorrow and Sunday. One skill that I have learned through my many years of school has been to prioritize...make a dent in what's due first, then move on.
Tonight Matt brought home that pizza that we were going to have last night. Yes...I have done a terrible thing and eaten "out" two nights in a row! This is what happens when things start to get hectic and I don't even break away to go to the grocery store. Of all the places to eat out, though, pizza is far from the worst...you just have to choose the right toppings. Matt is familiar with my ideas about pizza, so the one he brought was chicken and sliced fresh tomatoes. He couldn't get the whole wheat crust tonight (beggers of free pizza can't be choosers), but I already got plenty of whole grains in today so I was okay with that. I had two slices, along with 1 1/2 cups of steamed Brussels sprouts tossed with a teaspoon of Smart Balance Light and Mrs. Dash garlic & herb seasoning. I love making my own pizza, but when you're barely staying awake and have no energy, take-out tastes pretty darn good!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 oz (pizza crust)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 2 1/2 cups (Brussels sprouts, tomato sauce & tomatoes on pizza)
Milk: 1 1/2 cups (cheese on pizza)
Meats & beans: 2 oz (chicken)
Oils: 1 teaspoon (Smart Balance)

The cost of this meal (if I have prepared it all at home) was approximately: $1.60


How did I do today?
Grains: 6 1/2 oz out of 6 oz (4 1/2 were whole)
Fruits: 2 cups out of 2 cups
Vegetables: 3 cups out of 2 ½ cups
Milk: 3 cups out of 3 cups
Meats & beans: 4 oz out of 5 ½ oz
Oils: 3 tsp out of 6 tsp

Total cost for the day: $4.43

No comments:

Post a Comment