Sunday, February 1, 2009

February already?!

Breakfast
I can't believe it's February already! I probably say that every month, but it really is unbelievable how fast time passes. It's almost sad, because I don't know where the month went.
This morning, I was very tired from staying up late to clean up after the party. There really is nothing worse than waking up to a disastrous kitchen full of dirty dishes, so over the years I have learned-no matter how tired or intoxicated you are, it is well worth it to force yourself to clean up before going to bed. I always thank myself in the morning! Today I had oatmeal-1/4 + 1/8 cup of quick oats cooked with a cup of skim milk, along with 1/4 cup of raisins and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. I also had an 8 ounce glass of orange juice (I bought a half gallon of the store brand for $1.79-no added calcium, but that's okay) and 2 cups of coffee...I needed them today!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 1/2 oz whole (oatmeal)
Fruits: 1 1/2 cups (raisins and OJ)
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 1 cup (skim milk)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $0.81

Lunch
I had a quick bean burrito for lunch today: a Manny's whole wheat tortilla topped with1/2 cup of canned (S&W, low sodium variety) black beans, 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons of salsa, all heated in the microwave for about a minute. I took the picture before I folded it up, because I am not the best burrito folder! I also had a 6 oz cup of fat free yogurt on the side.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 1/2 oz whole (tortilla)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 1/4 cup (salsa)
Milk: 1 1/2 cups (cheese and yogurt)
Meats & beans: 2 oz (black beans)
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.47

Dinner
Still tired from last night, I really wasn't in the mood to prepare anything extensive for dinner tonight. I decided to make whole wheat rotini pasta with marinara sauce (Classico Tomato & Basil from the jar). I realized that I still had meatballs in the freezer from my holiday celebration, and heated those up in the oven to serve with the pasta. My portion was a cup of pasta with 3/4 cup of sauce and 3 medium sized meatballs (about 3 ounces of meat), topped with 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. I also steamed 3/4 cup of frozen green beans in the microwave and tossed them with a teaspoon of Smart Balance Light, and had a 6 ounce glass of Old Orchard blueberry pomegranate juice on the side.
It has been a long day...I can't wait to go to bed! Good night!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 1/2 oz whole (pasta, and oatmeal in meatballs)
Fruits: 3/4 cup (juice)
Vegetables: 1 1/2 cups (marinara sauce and green beans)
Milk: 3/4 cup (cheese)
Meats & beans: 3 oz (meatballs)
Oils: 1 teaspoon (Smart Balance)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $2.22

How did I do today?
Grains: 5 1/2 oz out of 6 oz (all were whole)
Fruits: 2 1/4 cups out of 2 cups
Vegetables: 1 3/4 cups out of 2 1/2 cups
Milk: 2 1/2 cups out of 3 cups
Meats & Beans: 5 oz out of 5 1/2 oz
Oils: 1 teaspoon out of 6 teaspoons

Total cost for the day: $4.50

No comments:

Post a Comment