Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Breakfast
I was in a hurry to get out the door this morning (no big surprise there!) so I didn't have much time to get creative with breakfast. I made oatmeal with a cup skim milk and threw in 1/2 cup of (thawed) frozen blueberries. I also had a cup of 100% OJ. I get to go to my favorite class this morning (Community Nutrition), followed by my least favorite class (Biochem). It's going to be a long morning/afternoon!


All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 1/2 oz whole (oatmeal)
Fruits: 1 1/2 cups (blueberries and OJ)
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 1 cup (skim milk)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.24

Snack
We had a very interesting guest speaker in Community today. One of the counselors from my school came and spoke about eating disorders. She gave some very startling statistics as far as the prevalence of these disorders, and told us how to recognize signs in our future clients. I've never really thought about how I would handle it if someone told me they were experiencing disordered eating habits. It was good to plant that seed just in case, as well as get some advice on how to handle it. Very good information!
I had a Fiber One bar (oats, strawberries and almonds) as my pre-biochem snack. I needed something to get me through, since I won't be eating lunch until later in the afternoon.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1/2 oz whole
The cost of this meal was approximately: $0.50

Lunch
Matt and I went on our usual Tuesday date today. These have become very important to us; it's a day that he's off work, and I get finished with school relatively early, so we have some time to spend together. Yes, it usually involves going out somewhere and yes, it involves spending money...but with my school schedule becoming so hectic, I need to set this time aside especially for us. I would like to come up with some inexpensive/free date options, though. This might be more feasible once the weather gets nicer so we can spend some time outside. I am so ready for spring!!
We went to Cicero's in The Loop for lunch. I have lived here all my life, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time I have eaten there. I ordered the salmon wrap with a salad topped with fat free raspberry vinaigrette dressing. The wrap was awesome, and just the right size for a meal! I estimated the fillings...about 5 ounces of salmon, 1/4 cup of cooked spinach, and a spicy cream cheese sauce to dip in. I didn't really need much of the sauce...the wrap was great by itself! I had nearly the whole wrap, and about 1 1/2 cups of the salad.
After lunch, we went down the street to Meshuggah's coffee house, where I treated myself to a cafe mocha made with skim milk. It was so yummy and chocolatey! I don't know when the last time was that I had such a good mocha. We hung out and made good use of their free wireless internet for awhile before heading out. It was a really great afternoon!


All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 1/2 oz (tortilla)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 1 3/4 cup (spinach in wrap and salad)
Milk: 3/4 cup (skim milk in mocha)
Meats & beans: 5 oz (salmon)
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal (if I had prepared it at home) was approximately: $2.15

Dinner
I made my whole wheat pizza crust for dinner tonight. I topped it with pesto, canned (no salt added) diced tomatoes, broccoli and mozzarella cheese. I suppose this can count as my "made from scratch" meal for the week, since I prepared the dough myself. I had two slices and about 3/4 cup of grapes on the side.
I did do a few yoga stretches tonight, as I promised myself I would. My leg muscles have been getting so sore from my lunchtime treadmill excursions, so I did some leg and hip stretches tonight. I really need to remember to stretch more often, because I could definitely feel a difference afterward.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 oz whole (pizza crust)
Fruits: 3/4 cup (grapes)
Vegetables: 1 1/4 cups (broccoli and tomatoes on pizza)
Milk: 1 1/4 cups (mozzarella cheese)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 3 teaspoons (pesto sauce and olive oil used on crust)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.77

How did I do today?
Grains: 5 1/2 oz out of 6 oz (4 were whole)
Fruits: 2 1/4 cup out of 2 cups
Vegetables: 2 1/4 cups out of 2 ½ cups
Milk: 3 1/4 cups out of 3 cups
Meats & beans: 5 oz out of 5 ½ oz
Oils: 3 tsp out of 6 tsp

Total cost for the day: $5.67

No comments:

Post a Comment