Thursday, February 12, 2009

Breakfast
I had all kinds of crazy dreams last night because I watched Lost...that always seems to happen for some reason. I guess it's because I watch it right before I go to bed, so it's stuck in my mind...maybe I'm a little obsessed with that show?? Either way, I was ready for a big cup of coffee this morning when I woke up. Once I was nice and awake, I started in on reading Biochem. I do not want to get behind again, although it seems inevitable with that subject. I am truly afraid to find out what grade I got on that test...part of me hopes she doesn't hand them back today, because I'm not ready to see it.
For breakfast, I had a cup of Raisin Bran cereal with 3/4 cup of skim milk, and a large orange. I love oranges, but they are so messy-and kind of a chore to cut up and remove from the peel. I guess that's why I reserve eating the whole orange for mornings when I don't have to run out the door-juice works better on those days.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 oz whole (cereal)
Fruits: 1 cup (orange)
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 3/4 cup (skim milk)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $0.93

Lunch
I had leftover pasta from last night: 1 1/2 cups of rotini pasta tossed with a tablespoon of pesto and 3/4 cup of steamed veggies. There were already some peas & carrots in the pasta, but I added a little broccoli as well. I topped it off with some lemon juice and a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 3 oz (pasta)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 1 cup (peas, carrots and broccoli)
Milk: 1/4 cup (Parmesan cheese)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 2 teaspoons (pesto)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $0.63

Snack
My teacher didn't give our tests back today...all she said was that of the papers she's graded, there were some good grades-and some not so good grades. Not very comforting! I'm going out to happy hour with a few girls from work tonight, so I thought it would be a good idea to eat something before I left. I had a some tea with a cup of fat free vanilla yogurt (I bought a 32 ounce tub of Dannon Light & Fit) and mixed in 3/4 cup of thawed frozen blueberries and strawberries and 15 almonds. I have been craving different fruits (something besides oranges and bananas) so much lately, but I just can't break down and buy the fresh stuff yet...it's way too expensive, and I know the quality will not be good enough right now to match the price. I can't wait 'til spring when things start to come in season!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 0
Fruits: 3/4 cup (strawberries & blueberries)
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 1 cup (yogurt)
Meats & beans: 1 1/2 oz (almonds)
Oils: 1 1/2 teaspoons (almonds)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.81

Dinner
Happy hour was so fun! We've been trying to do these "girls night out" things monthly, but it's hard to find a time that's good for everyone since we all work such different shifts. There were just 4 of us tonight, but we had a great time. I paced myself and only had 2 drinks, partially because I was driving but also because I knew I still have some things to do for school tonight. I'm not feeling extremely motivated right now, but I'm going to try anyway.
The girls ordered some appetizers, but since I had my snack before I got there I wasn't hungry (yes, that was premeditated) and waited until I got home to eat dinner. I made veggie burgers tonight (Morningstar Farms-I had a coupon). I had mine on a whole wheat bun with a slice of fat free American cheese, with a baked sweet potato and 1/2 cup of Brussels sprouts (frozen, steamed). I used 2 teaspoons of Smart Balance Light: 1 on the potato and 1 on the sprouts. This is another one of my favorite quick and easy dinners, which I rely on when things are busy. I truly do love cooking and trying new recipes though, and I hope I have some time in the near future to do that!


All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 1/2 oz whole (bun)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 1 1/2 cups (sweet potato and Brussels sprouts)
Milk: 1/2 cup (cheese)
Meats & beans: 2 1/2 oz (soy burger)
Oils: 2 teaspoons (Smart Balance)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $2.13

How did I do today?
Grains: 5 1/2 oz out of 6 oz (2 1/2 were whole)
Fruits: 2 cups out of 2 cups
Vegetables: 2 1/4 cups out of 2 ½ cups
Milk: 2 1/2 cups out of 3 cups
Meats & beans: 4 oz out of 5 ½ oz
Oils: 5 1/2 tsp out of 6 tsp

Total cost for the day: $5.49

No comments:

Post a Comment