Thursday, February 19, 2009

Breakfast
I had oatmeal this morning: 1/4 + 1/8 cup of quick oats cooked with a cup of skim milk, with 3 tablespoons of walnuts and a medium sliced banana added. I also had a cup of OJ.
This is going to be a very long day, because I have an appointment this morning, then I have school, then practicum in the evening. It's not even lunchtime yet and I already need a nap!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 1/2 oz whole (oatmeal)
Fruits: 1 3/4 cup (banana and OJ)
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 1 cup (skim milk)
Meats & beans: 1 1/2 oz (walnuts)
Oils: 1 1/2 teaspoons (walnuts)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.13

Lunch
I had enough time to come home for lunch before running off to school. I made a peanut butter & jelly sandwich on toasted whole wheat bread (Sara Lee). I love PBJ like this, because the peanut butter gets all melty and gooey...yum! I also had an ounce of baked potato chips and a cup of fat free Dannon yogurt topped with a little cinnamon. Adding the cinnamon makes it seem more like a treat for some reason!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 oz whole (bread)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 1/2 cup (chips)
Milk: 1 cup (yogurt)
Meats & beans: 2 oz (peanut butter)
Oils: 2 teaspoons (peanut butter)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.52

Dinner
I've been thinking of making veggie lasagna for awhile now, and was fully inspired tonight when I saw this dish all evening long at my practicum. I went by the store and picked up the rest of the items I would need, and threw together a quick dish when I got home. I kind of made it up as I went, but I think this is what I ended up with, layer by layer:
marinara sauce
noodles (no-boil kind)
cottage cheese mixed with pesto sauce
fresh spinach
noodles
cottage cheese w/pesto
frozen peas & carrots
mozzarella cheese
marinara sauce
noodles
spinach
marinara sauce
I baked it, covered with foil, at 375 for about 45 minutes. It turned out great! I only made an 8X8 dish, and cut it into 4 portions. I had one square, along with a Boca "chicken" patty to add some protein to my meal, and a 6 ounce glass of Old Orchard 100% berry juice blend.

The yoga series I chose for this evening was Eka Pada Rajakapotasana (One-legged king pigeon pose); Adho Mukha Svanasana (downward facing dog); Balasana (child's pose). I mostly chose pigeon because it is one of my favorites and I haven't done it in awhile-the other two are just nice transitions for it, although child's pose is great anytime. I was sad to find how much flexibility I've lost in pigeon. I am going to have to start practicing this one more often so I can get it back!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 1/2 oz (about 2 lasagna noodles)
Fruits: 3/4 cup (juice)
Vegetables: 1 1/2 cups (marinara,spinach, peas and carrots)
Milk: 1 1/4 cups (mozzarella and cottage cheese)
Meats & beans: 2 oz (Boca patty)
Oils: 2 teaspoons (Boca and pesto)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $2.64


How did I do today?
Grains: 5 1/2 oz out of 6 oz (4 were whole)
Fruits: 2 1/2 cup out of 2 cups
Vegetables: 2 cups out of 2 ½ cups
Milk: 3 1/4 cups out of 3 cups
Meats & beans: 5 1/2 oz out of 5 ½ oz
Oils: 5 1/2 tsp out of 6 tsp

Total cost for the day: $5.29

No comments:

Post a Comment