Sunday, January 18, 2009

1.18.09

Breakfast
Today I continued to use up my leftovers. I had one whole wheat Lender's bagel left, so I toasted it and spread a tablespoon of peanut butter on it. I also had a 6 oz cup of Schnucks fat free cherry vanilla yogurt.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 1/2 oz whole (bagel)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 3/4 cup (yogurt)
Meats & beans: 1 oz (peanut butter)
Oils: 1 teaspoon (peanut butter)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $0.83

Lunch
I finished the rest of the chili for lunch (there was about 1 cup left). I added 1/4 cup of reduced fat cheddar cheese (Schnucks brand), and had the rest of the fruit cocktail (about 1/2 cup) and 12 baby carrots as sides. No more leftovers sitting in the fridge for me! Maybe I should make this my belated New Years resolution...


All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 0
Fruits: 1/2 cup (fruit cocktail)
Vegetables: 1 1/2 cups (about 1/2 cup of onions, peppers, and tomatoes and in chili, and baby carrots=1 cup)
Milk: 1 cup (cheddar cheese)
Meats & beans: 2 oz (about 1/2 cup of beans in chili)
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.22

Dinner
I had a Boca burger for dinner tonight. I have been trying not to buy too many expensive "convenience foods" lately, but I saw that they were on sale this week at Schnucks so I picked up a box. They are nice to have on hand for those nights that I don't really feel like cooking. Needless to say, this was one of those nights. I added a 1-ounce slice of mozzarella cheese to my burger and had it on a 100% whole wheat Trader Joes's bun, with about a tablespoon of ketchup on the side to dip it in. For sides, I heated a medium sized sweet potato in the microwave and sauteed 2 cups of fresh spinach in about a teaspoon of Smart Balance. I also added about a teaspoon of Smart Balance and a little cinnamon to the sweet potato. To drink, I had a cup of Old Orchard blueberry pomegranate juice. The whole meal only took about 15 minutes to prepare...perfect for a "lazy" Sunday night!


All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 oz whole (whole wheat hamburger bun)
Fruits: 1 cup (juice)
Vegetables: 1 1/2 cups (1/2 cup from sweet potato and 1 cup from spinach)
Milk: 3/4 cups (mozzarella cheese)
Meats & beans: 2 1/2 oz (Boca burger patty)
Oils: 2 teaspoons (Smart Balance)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $2.72

How did I do today?
Grains: 4 1/2 oz out of 6 oz (all were whole)
Fruits: 2 cups out of 2 cups
Vegetables: 3 cups out of 2 1/2 cups
Milk: 2 1/4 cups out of 3 cups
Meats & Beans: 5 1/2 oz out of 5 1/2 oz
Oils: 4 teaspoons out of 6 teaspoons

Total cost for the day: $4.77

No comments:

Post a Comment