Friday, January 30, 2009

Breakfast...in three parts!
When I have to work early in the morning, I usually eat my breakfast in shifts so as to keep from getting too hungry before lunch. Right before I left the house (at 6 in the morning...ugh) I just had a cup of coffee and a small (4 oz) glass of orange juice. Once I got settled at work, I had a 6 oz cup of fat free vanilla yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup of granola cereal and 1/4 cup of dried fruit. Later in the morning, I grabbed a bran muffin from the kitchen. This kept me going through the morning, all the way through my 30 minute walk on the treadmill during lunch. I had to get that exercise in before I lost my alertness for the day, which is unavoidable when I only got 6 hours of sleep.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 1/2 oz whole (granola cereal and small bran muffin)
Fruits: 1 cup (1/2 from orange juice and 1/2 from dried fruit)
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 3/4 cup (yogurt)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.22

Lunch
When I came back from walking, I had my PB&J sandwich on whole wheat Sara Lee bread that I brought along with me today. The sandwich had 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, with about a teaspoon of grape jelly. I also had the rest of a bag-about 1 ounce-of Baked Lays potato chips (they were pretty broken up, so I left them inside the bag for the picture) and another 6 oz cup of fat free yogurt (cherry flavored this time). The one good thing about coming in so early...is I get to leave early too! Only a couple of hours to go after lunch!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 oz whole (bread)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 1/2 cup (chips)
Milk: 3/4 cup (yogurt)
Meats & beans: 2 oz (peanut butter)
Oils: 2 teaspoons (peanut butter)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.28

Dinner
I got a "second wind" of energy when I left work, and actually got some homework done when I got home. I didn't really feel like doing much aside from those things that could be accomplished while sitting on the couch-but at least I got something done! I kind of threw together dinner tonight, because I didn't feel like going to the store. I made "fake chicken" pesto wraps with Boca "chicken" patties. I baked the patties in the oven, then cut them up and put them on whole wheat Manny's tortillas with 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, 1/2 tablespoon of pesto sauce, and a cup of fresh spinach. I put them in the oven to let the cheese melt for just a few minutes before rolling them up. For sides, I made some Alexia potatoes and steamed frozen broccoli. My portion was one wrap with 1/2 cup of potatoes and 3/4 cup broccoli with a teaspoon of Smart Balance Light. I also had a cup of Old Orchard Blueberry Pomegranate 100% juice blend. It might have been thrown together, but it turned out pretty good!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 1/2 oz whole (tortilla)
Fruits: 1 cup (juice)
Vegetables: 1 3/4 cups (1/2 from potatoes, 1/2 from spinach and 3/4 from broccoli)
Milk: 3/4 cup (mozzarella cheese)
Meats & beans: 2 1/2 oz (Boca "chicken" patty)
Oils: 3 teaspoons (2 from pesto sauce and 1 from Smart Balance)
Italic
The cost of this meal was approximately: $2.50

How did I do today?
Grains: 6 oz out of 6 oz (all were whole)
Fruits: 2 cups out of 2 cups
Vegetables: 2 1/4 cups out of 2 1/2 cups
Milk: 2 1/4 cups out of 3 cups
Meats & Beans: 4 1/2 oz out of 5 1/2 oz
Oils: 5 teaspoons out of 6 teaspoons

Total cost for the day: $5.00

No comments:

Post a Comment