Saturday, January 10, 2009

1.10.09

Breakfast
I was off work today, but still had a lot to do all day long. I started the morning with a peanut butter and banana smoothie, which I've tried a few times before and enjoyed. It's simple-1 medium banana, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 1/2 cup of milk and a few ice cubes blended up. I'd like to start trying some different combinations of smoothie ingredients, but wasn't feeling very creative this morning, so I just stuck with what I know works. I didn't want to miss out on grains for this meal, so I toasted half of a whole wheat bagel and had that on the side with about a teaspoon of Smart Balance Light. All together, a very delicious and satisfying meal to start out a busy day!

All together, this meal provided:

Grains: 1 1/2 oz whole (bagel)

Fruits: 3/4 cup (banana)

Vegetables: 0

Milk: 1/2 cup

Meats & beans: 2 oz (peanut butter)

Oils: 1 teaspoon (Smart Balance)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $0.73


Lunch

Today I had a veggie burger for lunch. I like the vegetable masala patties, available at Trader Joes. They are just veggies, no soy protein-but they are very good and different from other veggie burgers because of the flavoring. They are a bit of a luxury item at 2.49 for a package of 4, but I would hate to cut them out completely as I often depend on them for an easy, convenient meal. I added a slice of mozzarella cheese and served mine on a whole wheat bun (also from Trader Joes). I often have a hard time finding 100% whole wheat hamburger buns at my regular grocery store-it is usually only part whole wheat, or refined (white) with brown coloring added. To get the full benefit from a grain, including the fiber, the first ingredient on the ingredient list must be "whole grain wheat flour" not "enriched" or anything else. The fiber content should also be at least 2 grams per serving (preferably more) if the product is actually whole grain. I have spent several minutes in the bread section at the store inspecting every brand available before finally settling on something. I have realized that Trader Joes carries exactly what I want all the time, and they sell it for a good price, so I just go straight there when I need hamburger or hot dog buns. It has saved me a lot of time! I also had an ounce (about 15) Baked Lays potato chips with my veggie burger, which also has 2 grams of fiber per serving. Unless you eat beans for every meal, or take a supplement, it's hard to get enough fiber in for the day (recommendation = 20-35 grams) so I'll take all I can get!

I had to run out again after I had lunch, and I was craving Starbucks so I stopped and bought a tall skinny cinnamon dolche with my gift card. I am really going to be sad when this runs out...but for now, it's great! Maybe I can buy a bottle of the syrup and start making these at home myself.


All together, this meal provided:

Grains: 1 1/2 oz whole (bun)

Fruits: 0

Vegetables: 3/4 cup (veggie patty and potato chips)

Milk: 1 1/4 cup (mozzarella cheese and skim milk in latte)

Meats & beans: 0

Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.58


Dinner

We had a baby shower to go to tonight...but this was no ordinary baby shower. It was a co-ed cocktail party shower, so it didn't really feel like a baby shower at all...just a bunch of people hanging out, eating and drinking (except for the person having the baby, of course....you're a good sport, Sarah!). There was a lovely array of appetizer-style foods available, which you wouldn't think could be considered a meal but I did okay putting it together. I had two plates of appetizers, including chicken, baked fish, crab cakes, bread and crackers with cheese, and assorted vegetables. What I show on the plates is not a great representation of the vegetables I ate, because I continued to pick at them (especially the asparagus, yum!) throughout the night. I have estimated as best I can, but I'm really not sure how many I had! Drinking, talking and eating are not a good combo when you're trying to remember your serving sizes!

When we got home, I realized there had not been any fruit available (except for the wine, but I can't count it-darn!) and I was short for the day so I had a cup of blueberry pomegranate juice along with my usual large glass of water (I believe this helps lessen any chance for headache the next day).


All together, this meal provided:

Grains: 2 oz (crackers and bread)

Fruits: 1 cup (100% juice)

Vegetables: 1 1/2 cups (assorted raw vegetables)

Milk: 1 cup (assorted cheese-mostly cheddar)

Meats & beans: 4 oz (2 oz chicken, 1 oz fish and 2 small crab cakes)

Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $0.34 (only charging myself for the juice)


How did I do today?

Grains: 4 ½ oz out of 6 oz (2 ½ were whole)

Fruits: 2 cups out of 2 cups

Vegetables: 2 1/4 cups out of 2 ½ cups

Milk: 2 ¾ cups out of 3 cups

Meats & beans: 6 oz out of 5 ½ oz

Oils: 4 tsp out of 6 tsp

Total cost for the day: $2.65

1 comment: