Tuesday, January 13, 2009

1.13.09

Breakfast
Today I started off with my version of a cafe mocha. I brewed a double shot of espresso, added about a teaspoon of unsweetened baking cocoa and a packet of Equal, and heated a cup of skim milk in the microwave to mix with it. I have given up on the milk frother that is attached to my espresso machine for a few reasons...first, it's messy. Second, I don't even like much froth, and using that apparatus results in mostly froth and very little hot milk. I decided that if I can get a more desirable result using the microwave, why bother? Yes, I'm sure that cappuccino enthusiasts would see this as sacrilege-but I'm sure I have already committed a sin by using a Mr. Coffee espresso maker. For breakfast, I had a 6 ounce cup of Schnucks fat free vanilla yogurt (on sale for only 0.45 each this week!) with a sliced banana and 1/2 cup of granola cereal (Schnucks brand-honey, oats and almonds) mixed in. I have tried this combination before (I'm afraid I'm running out of new combos to try in the yogurt) and really liked it, but it's been a week or so since I've had it-so I will allow myself this repeat in the breakfast arena.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 oz whole (granola cereal)
Fruits: 3/4 cup (medium banana)
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 1 3/4 cups (skim milk for mocha and yogurt)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.11

Lunch
I had my second day of practicum today. I decided to have lunch before I left; again, not expecting any handouts, and not yet sure of the protocol of bringing something along. I had half a can (about 1 cup) of Progresso low sodium garden vegetable soup, along with half of a grilled mozzarella cheese sandwich and a cup of Old Orchard blueberry pomegranate juice. The Progresso soup was actually on sale this week (only 1.33 for a can), and since it makes a nice, convenient meal I picked up a few. I sliced enough mozzarella cheese off my 1 pound hunk to make about 1 regular slice of cheese, and grilled it on whole wheat bread (Sara Lee, soft n'smooth variety-only 2.00 for a loaf at Target!). I spread about a teaspoon of Smart Balance Light on the bread before I grilled it. Now, it's off to work (or learning...depending how you look at it)!


All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 oz whole (bread)
Fruits: 1 cup (juice)
Vegetables: 1/2 cup (vegetable soup)
Milk: 3/4 cup (mozzarella cheese)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 1 teaspoon (Smart Balance)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.43

Dinner
I helped prep chicken spedini today for over an hour...needless to say, I came home inspired to make something similar. I was planning to make a chicken entree anyway, I just changed it up a bit and put it on skewers instead. I mixed about 1/2 cup breadcrumbs with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and added about 2 tablespoons of dried parsley, zest from 2 lemons, and 2 cloves of minced garlic. I mixed it all together and rolled chicken breast pieces first in olive oil, then in the breadcrumb mixture. I put 3 to 4 chunks of chicken on each skewer (I made 4 skewers total) and baked in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. They turned out wonderful...I don't think I made them exactly the way my practicum site did (at least I hope not-I'd hate to give away their recipe). For sides, I made mashed red potatoes (with garlic, a little skim milk and Smart Balance) and steamed broccoli (fresh this time-it was on sale) with lemon juice, Smart Balance and Mrs. Dash seasoning. My serving was 1 skewer with about 4 ounces of chicken, 1/2 cup of potatoes and 1 1/2 cups of broccoli. I also had a couple of toasted slices of wheat french bread, with a little Smart Balance and Mrs. Dash added for flavor (can you tell-I put Smart Balance on everything?!). What a delicious meal this turned out to be...I had a plan to make something I had made before, but instead ended up trying a new dish that I would not have thought of without my "work" as inspiration!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 oz whole (bread), + 1/2 oz (bread crumbs)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 2 cups (mashed potatoes and broccoli)
Milk: 0
Meats & beans: 4 oz (chicken)
Oils: 3 teaspoons (Smart Balance and olive oil)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $2.06

How did I do today?
Grains: 4 1/2 oz out of 6 oz (4 were whole)
Fruits: 1 3/4 cups out of 2 cups
Vegetables: 2 1/2 cups out of 2 1/2 cups
Milk: 2 1/2 cups out of 3 cups
Meats & Beans: 4 oz out of 5 1/2 oz
Oils: 4 teaspoons out of 6 teaspoons

Total cost for the day: $4.60

No comments:

Post a Comment