Saturday, March 6, 2010

Renal Diet - Day 6

I am undergoing these dietary restrictions for the purpose of a project meant to teach patient empathy which will last for one week. I am not suggesting that anyone follow this diet unless it has been prescribed by their physician.

Breakfast:
8 oz cup of coffee
2 tbsp fat free half & half
1 pkg (1 oz) cream of wheat, made with 2/3 cup rice milk
1 tsp Smart Balance Light
1 tsp honey
2 tbsp dried mixed berries (blueberries, cherries, raisins and cranberries)
a generous sprinkle of cinnamon

I'm still trying to like the cream of wheat. It was better with the dried fruit, but the texture is just so grainy! Two more days and I can go back to my oatmeal :)








"Second" breakfast:
blueberry muffin (1 1/2 oz)
small hardboiled egg

I had a late "second" breakfast at work, because I knew I was walking again today and would need the energy.









Lunch:
1 1/2 oz turkey on 2 slices white bread
1/2 oz slice colby jack cheese
1 oz Baked Ruffles potato chips
1 small apple

Despite my attempt to eat closer to when I was going to walk, I was still super hungry when I returned. I was talking with a friend in the office today, and she said she was gaining more sympathy for our renal patients by reading about my experience. It's pretty cool that the patient empathy is even reaching beyond me!





Late afternoon snack
:
8 oz cup of coffee (regular mixed with french vanilla latte)
6 vanilla wafers

I was getting really tired by late afternoon, so I grabbed a little coffee to have with my cookies. Our french vanilla latte is a no-no for our renal patients, I guess because there is milk powder somewhere in the mix, but I probably only used about 1/4 of a cup of it. It makes a nice flavoring for our lovely hospital coffee (really, it's not that bad when it's fresh but I couldn't wait until they made a new batch).


Dinner: More goodies from Davita

3 oz Baked Pork Chop - http://www.davita.com/recipes/Meats_and_seafood/a/617
1 cup Lemony Rice Pilaf - http://www.davita.com/recipes/Rice,_pasta_and_breads/a/1284
3/4 cup asparagus, tossed in olive oil

These recipes were awesome. I have been eating more pork lately (my Jewish half is disappointed, I think) and am always looking for new ways to prepare it. I will definitely keep this one on hand. The rice was perfect with it, and of course asparagus is always good. I tossed it in olive oil, sprinkled with a little salt and pepper, and baked at 350 for about 15 minutes. I added a little Parmesan cheese and lemon juice right before it was ready.













Misc. H2O record:
6 oz (morning)
12 oz (afternoon/early evening)
10 oz (with dinner/evening)

How compliant was I today?
Total calories: 1788 out of 1861 allowed
Total fluids: 1370 mL out of 1861 mL allowed
Protein: 68 g out of 53 g allowed
Phosphorus: 1022 out of 1200 mg allowed
Potassium: 1963 mg out of 2127 mg allowed
Sodium: 2489 mg out of 3000 allowed

My compliance was very good today. I was within my limits in all categories except protein, but I've realized that's nearly an impossible feat.

No comments:

Post a Comment