Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Renal Diet - Day 2

I am undergoing these dietary restrictions for the purpose of a project meant to teach patient empathy which will last for one week. I am not suggesting that anyone follow this diet unless it has been prescribed by their physician.

Breakfast: Okay this isn't so bad
8 oz. cup of coffee with 2 tbsp fat free half and half
2 frozen blueberry waffles with 1 tsp. Smart Balance Light, 1 tbsp lite syrup, 1/2 cup (frozen/thawed) blueberries & strawberries, and 1/2 tsp powdered sugar
1 oz. turkey sausage patty

This morning I skipped my glass of water and went straight for the coffee. That way I can save my liquid consumption for later today when I will need it (I'm working out today). My breakfast was more like something I would have as a treat in my "normal" life. I actually felt pretty full afterward because blueberries and strawberries contain a good amount of fiber.




Pre and Post workout snack

before-6 oz glass apple juice
after-1/2 bagel with 1 tbsp whipped cream cheese

I had my weight training class today. I figured if I drank my juice right before I would have enough energy and hydration to make it through. I still had a few sips of water here and there, but I only drank about 8 oz total by the time I got home (I measured what I put in my water bottle, then checked how much was left). I have noticed that bagels really don't fill me up that much. I ate it before I went to my next class, but I was really hungry halfway through. I would have rather had my banana or FiberOne bar like I usually have.

Lunch
1 TJ's Masala (Indian spice) veggie burger patty
1 slice white toast
1/2 slice mozzarella cheese
1 cup steamed (frozen) mixed peas and carrots
1 tsp Smart Balance Light

I'm not really sure how great this was for this diet, but I had a masala veggie burger patty from TJ's. All I could really tell from the box was that it was low in protein (1 g) but a little high in sodium (440 mg). It's strictly made from veggies, not soy, but I know there are potatoes in it so it might have been high in potassium. I'm thinking it will be unlikely that I'll find the exact product in the nutrient database, so I'll probably just have to use something similar. I put it on one slice of white toast, since I didn't have any buns and two slices seemed like too much.

A Greek Feast Slip-up

We had some visitors in class tonight who showed us how to cook some authentic Greek cuisine! We made roasted lamb, spinach, rice, and cheese stuffed filo dough pockets. Forgive me for not remembering the actual names of the foods. It was really hard to restrain myself, but here's what I sampled:

1 small chunk (cube) of feta cheese
1/4 cup rice
1 tbsp of cooked spinach
a 1 ounce piece of lamb
1 filo pocket
1/4 cup Greek style yogurt with honey and walnuts
Everything was wonderful! I suppose this is one of those "unexpected" situations that can't really be planned for. I think the guests would have been upset if we didn't try the foods they made.

Dinner: What a sad looking plate
3 oz chicken breast
3/4 cup cooked (from frozen) corn
1 1/2 tsp Smart Balance Light
1 tsp imitation lemon juice

Since I had all those snacks in class, I just made some simple chicken and steamed corn for dinner. I sauteed the chicken in Smart Balance and lemon juice, and also added some to the corn. The plate just looked so empty! But I didn't really want to eat anything else. Plus, I'm pretty sure I totally blew the diet for today.




Snack: Sweet Craving-I couldn't resist
3 Chips Ahoy Reduced-fat chocolate chip cookies

Misc. H2O record:

8 oz (late morning/afternoon)
8 oz (late afternoon/early evening)
18 oz (evening)

How compliant was I today?
Total calories: 1672 out of 1861 allowed
Total fluids: 1470 mL out of 1861 allowed
Protein: 81 g out of 53 g allowed
Phosphorus: 1317 out of 1200 mg allowed
Potassium: 1947 mg out of 2127 mg allowed
Sodium: 3343 mg out of 3000 allowed

I'd say I my compliance was fair today-I was over in 3 out of 6 categories. The protein is really confusing me the most. I did not eat that much more meat than I was supposed to, so it must be coming from other sources. I think the bagels might be a problem. According to the package one bagel has 9 grams of protein-so every time I eat a half it's 4.5 grams. I did much better with spreading out my fluids today, in fact so well that I don't think I drank enough. That might be why I was feeling hungry-maybe I was mistaking it for thirst. Maybe what I need is a "drinking schedule."

No comments:

Post a Comment