Sunday, December 28, 2008

A late night = a rough morning!


Breakfast
Today I tried something a little different. Instead of purchasing the single serving flavored yogurt cups, I bought a large carton of plain yogurt and tried flavoring it myself. I added 1/2 cup of honey & oats granola cereal to 1 cup of fat free plain yogurt. It was still a little too plain for me, and not really that much cheaper, but it was nice to be able to have a whole cup of milk product for breakfast, rather than the 3/4 cup that I was getting with the single serving. It still needed something else, so maybe next time I'll add some fruit. I just had a glass of orange juice on the side today.


All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 oz whole (granola cereal)
Fruits: 1 cup (OJ)
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 1 cup (yogurt)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.09

Lunch
I was at work today and since I was out late last night I was in no frame of mind to be creative with lunch today. I had my standard cold turkey and mozzarella cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread (still using the Sara Lee Honey Wheat). I also had about an ounce of Baked Lays on the side. Easy, cheap and filling...the way lunch was meant to be (at least when you are running on very little sleep)!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 oz whole (bread)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 1/2 cup (about 15 baked potato chips)
Milk: 3/4 cup (slice of mozzarella cheese)
Meats & beans: 2 oz (2 slices deli turkey)
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.54

Dinner
I had a loose plan for dinner when I got home, but really wasn't feeling too motivated to execute it. Lucky for me, Matt had a plan too, which involved bringing home a pizza so I wouldn't have to cook. I do like being in control of what I eat to some extent, but it's nice on days like today when someone else makes those decisions for you! I had 3 pieces of pizza (cut into squares), which I estimated to have about 2 ounces of chicken, 1/4 cup of tomatoes, 1/2 cup of cheese and 1 tablespoon of pesto sauce on it. Because I knew I needed more vegetables for the day, and the amount of tomatoes on the pizza just wasn't going to cut it, I steamed about 1 1/2 cups of frozen broccoli in the microwave to have with my pizza. I added a teaspoon of Smart Balance Light for flavor. It was a nice, simple (and cheap!) dinner, and all I had to do was press the buttons on the microwave.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 3 oz (pizza crust)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 1 3/4 cup (1 1/2 cups broccoli and 1/4 cup tomatoes)
Milk: 1 1/4 cups (cheese on pizza)
Meats & beans: 2 oz (chicken)
Oils: 3 tsp (pesto sauce and Smart Balance)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $0.53


How did I do today?
Grains: 6 1/2 oz out of 6 oz (3 were whole)
Fruits: 1 cup out of 2 cups
Vegetables: 2 1/4 cups out of 2 1/2 cups
Milk: 3 cups out of 3 cups
Meats & beans: 4 1/2 oz out f 5 1/2 oz
Oils: 3 tsp out of 6 tsp

Total cost for the day: $3.15

No comments:

Post a Comment