Saturday, December 27, 2008

Back to work...

Breakfast
Today I had oatmeal. I still have some of the packets left, so I'm using those up before I start making it the "old fashioned" way. I made a packet of lower-sugar maple and brown sugar and added 1/2 cup of skim milk along with 1/4 cup of dried cranberries (I'm all out of my dried berry blend) and 2 tablespoons of walnuts, with a glass of orange juice on the side. It was, surprisingly, a very good combination. I don't usually like dried cranberries-I had them sitting around for a recipe I made at some point. However, I am finding lately that I like a lot of things I thought I didn't. I was very picky as a child, but it was mostly because I was afraid to try new things. I suppose I have become more of a "risk taker," at least as far as food is concerned. Plus, I have heard that your tastes change as you get older. Yea for growing up!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 oz whole (oatmeal)
Fruits: 1 1/2 cups (dried cranberries and OJ)
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 1/2 cup (skim milk)
Meats & beans: 1 0z (2 tbsp walnut pieces)
Oils: 1 tsp (walnuts)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.16

Lunch
Today was leftover day for lunch (hence the lovely tupperware in the picture). I had just enough of the macaroni and cheese and chicken breast remaining from last night to take with me to work. It was the perfect lunch-just heat and serve. Much better than the cold sandwiches I usually take with me! The portion of mac n'cheese was about the same as last night-1 1/2 cups, and the chicken breast was about 3 oz, or the size of a deck of cards. A hot meal at work, without having to go spend half my paycheck at the cafeteria...I love it. I also had a banana, but forgot to take a picture, oops.

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 3 oz whole (pasta)
Fruits: 3/4 cup (small banana)
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 1 1/2 cup (skim milk and cheddar cheese in pasta)
Meats & beans: 3 oz (chicken breast)
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $0.93

Snacks
I had lunch kind of early today, and didn't have any snacks with me to eat before I left. Luckily, one of the girls I work with has a boyfriend who works for a chip company and there are always samples available! I found a 1-oz bag of Baked Ruffles potato chips, which saved me from starvation and provided me with a serving of vegetables, which I was lacking thus far today. Thanks TJ :)
When I got home, I tried out the new espresso machine I got for Christmas! I was so excited to receive this, because #1, I won't be so tempted to go spend upwards from 4.00 on coffee from Starbucks and #2, this will surely help me get more milk into my diet. My first "experiment" was an iced sugar free caramel latte. I brewed a double shot of espresso and added 2 tbsp of syrup. I couldn't figure out the milk steamer, so I just poured the mixture into a glass with ice and filled it up with about 6 oz. of cold skim milk. It tasted awesome...not bad for my first time. Just call me "Denabucks"!

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 0
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 1/2 cup (small bag of Baked Ruffles)
Milk: 3/4 cup (iced cappucino)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 0

The cost of this meal was approximately: $0.22

Dinner
Tonight dinner was kind of "thrown together". I had half a bag of frozen cheese tortellini sitting in the fridge, so I made those and mixed in about 2 tablespoons of pesto sauce (about 1 tbsp per serving) and frozen peas and carrots (steamed in the microwave for a few minutes). The portion I had was about 1 1/2 cups of tortellini and 1/2 cup of vegetables. I sauteed a small chicken breast and has about 2 oz of it with the pasta. Because I needed to fulfill my vegetables for the day, I also steamed about 1 1/2 cups of frozen spinach and had that on the side with a teaspoon of Smart Balance Light. It might have been thrown together, but it was a pretty good dinner. Matt liked it too :)

All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 1/2 oz (tortellini)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 2 cup (1/2 cup of peas and carrots, and 1 1/2 cups spinach)
Milk: 1/4 cup (cheese tortellini)
Meats & beans: 2 oz (chicken breast)
Oils: 3 tsp (pesto sauce and Smart Balance)

The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.82

How did I do today?
Grains: 5 1/2 oz out of 6 oz (4 were whole)
Fruits: 2 1/4 cups out of 2 cups
Vegetables: 2 1/2 cups out of 2 1/2 cups
Milk: 3 cups out of 3 cups (awesome!!!)
Meats & beans: 6 1/2 oz out f 5 1/2 oz
Oils: 4 tsp out of 6 tsp

Total cost for the day: $4.13

I think that espresso machine is going to change the way I drink milk! Thanks, Santa!

No comments:

Post a Comment