Friday, March 19, 2010

Spring Break Wrap Up

I certainly had every intention of posting each and every day during spring break this week. I did, however, remember to take pictures of some of the new dishes I tried out so I can offer those now! Better late than never, right?

Pollo Montecristo From Self.com
This was a really good recipe! Self.com is one of my new favorite sources for recipes. They don't have as many available as Cooking Light, but those I have tried so far have been great.












Spaghetti with Chicken and Thai Peanut Sauce from CookingLight.com
YUM! Ever since I have taken a liking to Thai cuisine, I have wanted to duplicate the chicken pad thai that we get from our favorite restaurant. I have to say, this came pretty darn close! It was also not too difficult to make. I did have to invest in some fresh ginger, but I just bought a tube of the minced that I found in the herb section of the grocery store. Well worth it, because I will definitely be making this again and again.












Baked Goat Cheese and Roasted Winter Squash over Garlicky Fettuccine from CookingLight.com


I honestly wasn't sure about this one-that's why it sat untouched in my "saved recipes" file on Cookinglight.com for so long. I was really glad I finally tried it though, because it was actually quite good. A bit labor intensive-I have to say, one of my least favorite activities is cutting up winter squash-but well worth it. I don't know why I sat on this one for so long...how can you go wrong with goat cheese?!













We also had a couple of excellent dining out experiences. Last Saturday, we went to the new Mai Lee (Vietnamese cuisine) that opened in Brentwood near Hanley/Eager. It is the same restaurant that used to be near Delmar and 170, but boy has it improved! The menu was still very similar, but with a few new options. We have always been a little intimidated by their menu because there are soooo many choices. This time, we asked the waitress for suggestions and the ones she gave were great. Matt had steak with a peppery sauce and I had chicken with vegetables. Yummy!
Here's their website


Last night I was craving Greek food, so I searched for a new restaurant to try. Instead I came up with a great little Russian place (which I never realized is actually very similar to Greek) in Webster Groves called Dvin. It was the most adorable and charming place, run by a mother and daughter. It's so small I have never even noticed it before, but I'm so glad I found it! The food was absolutely wonderful. They don't have a website, but their menu and address is posted here

We got the Armenian dip as an appetizer, I got the meat blinztes and Matt had a pork steak which was served with mashed potatoes. Everything was awesome, and the prices were very reasonable-I can't wait to go back and try more!

Have you had any interesting food adventures this week, either inside our outside of your kitchen?

1 comment:

  1. Armenian dip? Sounds unique! I went to Dallas for a half marathon and tried some different mexican restaurants. Urban Taco was good!

    ReplyDelete