Monday, March 1, 2010

Renal Diet - Day 1

I am undergoing these dietary restrictions for the purpose of a project meant to teach patient empathy which will last for one week. I am not suggesting that anyone follow this diet unless it has been prescribed by their physician.

Breakfast-cream of wheat and oatmeal are not created equal!

8 oz cup coffee
2 tbsp fat free half and half
1 pkg equal
1 pkg cream of wheat cereal made with 2/3 cup water, with 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/4 cup rice milk, cinnamon and 1/2 pkg equal
1 large egg fried in 1/2 tsp Smart Balance Light
6 oz glass apple juice

This was a tough morning to start my diet. I had an internship interview which I was totally nervous about, and changing up my morning routine was even more nerveracking. I just wanted to have my usual bowl of oatmeal, but made cream of wheat instead. I had never tried cream of wheat before today-it is nothing at all like oatmeal! I made the packet with water and thought I'd add some rice milk to it (another new one for me). After opening the rice milk though, I realized I should have just made the cream of wheat with that instead of water. It was not creamy at all-in fact, it was even more watery than skim milk (and I like skim milk!). It's flavor was sweet though, which is why I think I'll use that next time instead of water. I do not think the rice milk would be a good substitute for half and half in my coffee either, so I stuck with my usual 2 tablespoons of fat free half and half. I don't think it will make that much difference in my diet, but I will verify using nutrient analysis.

Lunch-white bread?!?
grilled turkey and mozzarella sandwich on white bread with pesto sauce:
2 slices white bread
1 tsp Smart Balance Light
1.5 oz deli turkey
1/2 slice (1/2 oz) mozzarella cheese
1 tsp pesto sauce
1 cup raw baby carrots

This was the first time I have had white bread in probably ten years! I thought if I made a grilled sandwich, I would miss the cheese less (only 1/2 cup of dairy is allowed per day on this diet). I tore up the half slice and distributed it over the turkey so that it would melt together. I also added some pesto sauce for extra flavor and calories, hoping the fat will help me feel fuller. I still feel a little hungry. I will definitely be packing a snack to bring with me to school today. The carrots were good, but not a great substitute for my usual potato chips. Those baked ruffles were staring me in the face as I put the carrots on my plate! I know I can have them in small amounts, but I am going to try to be very restrictive for my first day and see how I'm doing.



Snack-I'm starving! (no picture-forgot to bring my camera):
1/2 plain bagel with 1 tbsp cream cheese
1/2 cup applesauce with cinnamon

I brought my snack to school with me, but I left it in the car and didn't get to eat it until 4:00. I was absolutely starving! In fact, it's almost 7 now and I'm starving again. Oh, and by the way I'm also watching my fluids, which are usually another way of helping me stay full longer. I have to stay between 1595 and 1861 milliliters per day (one for each of my calories), which translates to just under 8 cups of fluid per day. I've already had close to six, because I have to count all liquids-not just straight water. Maybe I should cut down on my morning beverage consumption tomorrow morning, since the first thing I always do is drink a glass of water, then a cup of coffee, and then a cup of juice.

Dinner-finally!
1 cup steamed white rice, made with about 1 tsp Smart Balance Light
1 1/2 cups mixed stir-fried veggies
1.5 oz chicken breast
1/2 tbsp reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup raspberry sherbet for dessert

I was so hungry by dinnertime. We don't usually eat until around 8 because that's when Matt gets home from work. I made a stir-fry to disguise the fact that I was only eating 1.5 ounces of chicken. I picked through the veggies and got mostly peas and green beans, less broccoli (even though that's my favorite!) but it is very high in potassium. I was so hungry I even ate the parts of the stir fry I would normally push off to the side-the water chestnuts and red peppers.
























Misc. H2O record:

6 oz (morning)
8 oz (mid-morning)
12 oz (afternoon)
8 oz (evening)

How compliant was I today?
Total calories: 1587 out of 1861 allowed
Total fluids: 1740 mL (7.25 cups) out of 1861 (or 7.75 cups) allowed
Protein: 57 g out of 53 g allowed
Phosphorus: 902mg mg out of 1200 mg allowed
Potassium: 2221 mg out of 2127 mg allowed
Sodium: 2596 mg out of 3000 allowed

I did pretty well, and would say my compliance was very good-I followed my meal plan exactly and still ended up high on protein. I knew that aspect would be the most challenging.
I have a huge headache right now, which I'd love to blame on the fact that I've been hungry all day and haven't had enough water-but I was awfully stressed out this morning with that interview. Tomorrow is another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment