Saturday, February 27, 2010

"You're not supposed to be eating that."

I have been studying up for internship interviews, and one of the sample questions I was given is:
If someone saw you eating a burger and fries and commented that "you're not supposed to be eating that." What would you say?
I thought this would be a hilarious, and strange, question to ask on an interview-mainly because at my house, we eat burgers and fries all the time! I suppose the expected answer to this would be that all foods can fit, and maybe something about the importance of portion size, etc. But for me, the real answer is: it's all about how you prepare it. First of all, I only use extra-lean ground beef (93/7). I mix it up in a bowl with a generous teaspoon of minced garlic, some dry oats (about 1/4 cup per pound of meat), a little pepper, some Mrs. Dash seasoning (my favorite is garlic, basil and tomato), and an egg white (to hold things together). Our fries are usually homemade, which is easier than you might think. Just slice up a couple of medium-sized potatoes (at fat or as thin as you like-but they thicker they are, the longer the bake time). I toss these with about a tablespoon of olive oil, garlic powder, various spices (I like basil and oregano) and a little salt and pepper, then bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until golden.
I served my burger on a whole wheat bun with a slice of reduced fat cheese and (a must for me) extra ketchup. A burger and fries is nothing to be ashamed of, especially if you prepare it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment