Saturday, February 27, 2010

An endeavor in patient empathy

Next week I will be beginning an endeavor in patient empathy. Well, actually it's an assignment for school-but doesn't the term "endeavor" make it sound more exciting?
I have chosen to follow a pre-dialysis renal diet for one week, and will be journaling my experience here.
The purpose of the pre-dialysis renal diet is to ease the amount of stress put on the kidneys in hopes of restoring their function. The diet limits the amount of protein, calories, fluids, sodium, potassium and phosphorus that a person can consume.
This diet is very different from my own, and will be a challenge for me in many ways. First, I will not be able to consume whole grain products since they are high in protein. Milk products are also a problem not only because they provide too much protein but because of their potassium and phosphorus content. I strive to consume only the most nutritious fruits and vegetable, but these are often the highest sources of potassium. I will have to strictly limit some of my favorites, like broccoli, sweet potatoes, bananas, and orange juice. Also, sadly, my nightly treat will be affected. Both chocolate and frozen yogurt are restricted. I am going to have to find a new dessert for the week!
Today I am planning to go shopping for many of the staple items I will need throughout the week. I will most likely plan meals around these items.

My renal diet grocery list:

grains (refined only):
Cream of wheat cereal
bread
bagels
pasta (not whole grain)
Frozen waffles

fruit:
frozen blueberries and strawberries
apple juice
canned fruit
applesauce

veggies:
baby carrots
frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, asparagus)

meats:
chicken
lean ground beef

dairy (substitutes):
rice milk
non-dairy coffee creamer

Other:
cream cheese
jello
sherbet or sorbet
pesto sauce

I hope you'll tune in this week and see how compliant I am with this diet restriction!

Renal groceries!


1 comment:

  1. Try this variation to your burgers - add a couple shakes of Worcestershire sauce. And the fries - toss the potatoes with olive oil and Lipton onion soup mix...yummy!

    ReplyDelete