Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Healthy Secret Macaroni & Cheese

Tonight I made one of my favorite meals. Mac n' cheese with an extra nutritional kick! I started by cooking 8 oz of whole wheat rotini pasta...


















Are you ready for the secret?


















Combine a thawed package of cooked winter squash with 1 1/2 cups skim milk, and heat to boiling-then simmer for a few minutes until slightly thickened. This is very exciting to me, because the squash is the same color as the cheese! But don't worry, you will still get plenty of cheese in this recipe. I would not deny anyone of that!


















Add the cooked pasta, a cup of fat free cottage cheese, and 1 cup of reduced fat cheddar. Stir until the cheese is melted. Season as desired-I added a pinch of nutmeg and cayenne pepper, and a little sea salt and black pepper.


















plus about 1 1/2 cups of chopped broccoli...



















and some breadcrumbs to sprinkle on top. I made my own by toasting two slices of bread, chopping them up and tossing with oregano, garlic and olive oil.


















Place the mac n' cheese mixture in a baking dish, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes and....


















healthy comfort food at it's finest! YUM!
I served this dish with garlic & herb seasoned chicken breasts sauteed in olive oil. This allowed me to play with one of my new toys that I got for Christmas...A digital kitchen thermometer!


















Always make sure poultry products are cooked to a minimum of 165 F. Even if they appear done, they could still be harboring harmful bacteria which has not yet been cooked off.

Have a safe and happy new year, however you might be spending it!

1 comment: