Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hooray for Plato's Closet!

Where else can you drop off some clothes that you're sick of looking at in your closet, pick up some new ones, and leave with 3 bucks change?
I was planning on making a trip to the Kirkwood store today anyway, but first decided to quickly run through what was accessible in my closet. I filled up a box with some (seasonally friendly) tops and a few pairs of jeans I know I will never wear again. I find it's better to do this on a whim, because if I make a pile and go through it again later, it will surely get smaller as I convince myself that I can still use this stuff.
Plato's can be pretty picky about what they'll take, but through experience I've gained the ability to be realistic about what has a chance and what doesn't. Brand mostly matters, but if it's really cute they might take it anyway. They always have an overabundance of jeans, so they'd better be in really good condition or "different" in some way. They took both of my jean offerings today; they were Vigoss brand and had florescent colored v's on the back pockets. They say they won't take anything that was on the racks more than a year ago, but I have definitely sold things that were older than that, but in good condition. They never take my jewelry or shoes, even the pair I tried to sell today that I literally never wore (I guess they didn't think they were that cute once they got them home, either).
My main reason for my visit today was to buy skirts. I always spend my summers sweating in jeans, and am determined not to do so again. I have always thought I look terrible in skirts, due to my own self conscious (and probably ridiculous) reasons. But today, I purposely bypassed the jean aisles and went straight to the skirts (after a quick brush-through of the dresses...come on, one step at a time here!). I ended up getting three semi-short skirts that I could actually stand to look at myself in the mirror in, plus one top. Two of the items still had their original tags! I apologize in advance to all those that will have to endure the sight of my skinny, un-sunned legs this summer.
After applying the amount of the stuff I sold, plus 20% off (full frequent buyer card) they still owed me money. It was a pretty good deal, and a welcome change from shopping at stores that only result in an increase to my credit card balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment