Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Breakfast:
When I woke up this morning (headache free!) I had my coffee with a small glass of apple juice (Langer's brand). A little later in the morning, I decided to have a smoothie, since I had a banana sitting around that was about to become inedible. I used the whole banana, about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and ¾ cup of milk (a little more than last time). It was pretty thin, but I put it in the freezer for a few minutes and it was just the right consistency. I also had a slice of whole wheat toast with about 1 teaspoon of Smart Balance Light spread.
All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 1 oz whole (bread)
Fruits: 1 1/4 cups (1/2 cup of 100% apple juice and meduim banana)
Vegetables: 0
Milk: 3/4 cup (skim milk)
Meats & beans: 2 oz (peanut butter)
Oils: 1 teaspoon (smart balance)
The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.12
Lunch
I had to pack a lunch today, since I was going to be at work. I made a turkey sandwich with a slice of mozzarella cheese on whole wheat bread (Sara Lee honey wheat-it was on sale for $2.00 a loaf at Target). I used about 3 ounces of deli turkey, which I estimated by using the idea that 3 ounces of meat is about the same size as a deck of playing cards. Some people like to say "the size of the palm of your hand," but I find this confusing, because, first, everyone's hand is a different size and second, this tells me nothing about the height, just the length and width. I think the deck of cards analogy is much easier to comprehend.
I also had about an ounce of Baked Lays potato chips (15-16 chips) and 1/4 cup of dried apricots.
All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 2 oz whole (bread)
Fruits: 1/2 cup (dried apricots)
Vegetables: 1/2 cup (baked lays)
Milk: 3/4 cup (mozzarella cheese)
Meats & beans: 3 oz (turkey)
Oils: 0
The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.71
Dinner (and a drink)
Tonight I made a veggie pizza for dinner, on homemade whole wheat crust. I used to think it was difficult/time consuming to make pizza dough (I think I was intimidated by the fact that it called for yeast). It is, in actuality, one of the easiest bread products to prepare. It is also extremely cost effective over using one of the already prepared crusts that are available at the store. I have adapted a recipe from 1,001 Low-Fat Recipes that I have been using for awhile now. It calls for fast-rising yeast, but I have used regular yeast before and had similar results-it just takes a little longer. Tonight, I topped my pizza with 3 tablespoons of pesto sauce (prepared-Classico brand), 6 cups of lightly steamed (in the microwave) fresh spinach, 1 1/4 cups of drained, canned diced tomatoes (Schnucks brand-no salt added variety) and 1 1/2 cups of reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese. Matt also had the idea to make chocolate martinis, which were a wonderful dessert with the veggie pizza (but what doesn't go well with a chocolate martini?!) I'm not sure what all he put in them, but they were very tasty...and visually pleasing as well!


Recipe:
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (Adapted from 1,001 Low-Fat Recipes, by Sue Spitler)
Yield: one 12-inch pizza crust
Ingredients:
1/2 cup hot (not boiling) water
1 package fast rising yeast
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
About 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
Cooking spray
  1. Combine hot water, yeast, honey and salt in large mixing bowl.
  2. Mix in 1/2 cup of the flour
  3. Continue adding flour by 1/4 cup-fulls, until a soft dough forms
  4. Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic-about 3-5 minutes. Shape into a ball.
  5. Spray a clean mixing bowl well with cooking spray
  6. Place dough inside bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes
  7. Place dough onto a pizza pan and stretch out into desired shape/thinness.
  8. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 10-15 minutes longer.
  9. Top with desired toppings and bake in a preheated oven at 425 for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly brown.
All together, this meal provided:
Grains: 3 oz whole (pizza crust)
Fruits: 0
Vegetables: 1 3/4 cups (1 1/4 cups spinach + 1/2 cup tomatoes)
Milk: 1 1/4 cups (about 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese)
Meats & beans: 0
Oils: 2 teaspoons (pesto sauce)
The cost of this meal was approximately: $1.57


How did I do today?
Grains: 6 oz out of 6 oz (all were whole)
Fruits: 1 3/4 cups out of 2 cups
Vegetables: 2 1/4 cups out of 3 cups
Milk: 2 3/4 cups out of 3 cups
Meats & beans: 5 oz out of 5 1/2 oz
Oils: 4 teaspoons out of 6 teaspoons
Total cost for the day: $4.40

No comments:

Post a Comment