Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wanna eat (or drink) cheap? Blend it yourself!

Have you ever had one of those fancy fruit smoothies from a coffee bar or other specialty shop? They're pretty yummy, but will run you upwards from $4. The good news is, you can make your own fruit smoothie, just as tasty as you'll find at these shops, for a very low cost. You might even be able to make it in less time than it takes to wait in line to hand them your five bucks!
Today I made a peach smoothie. I blended about a cup of frozen peach halves, 1/3 cup of fat free peach yogurt, and 1/2 cup of apple juice. Thirty seconds in my food processor (but you could use any type of blender you have available) and I had a delicious, and nutritious, treat! Of course, this could be done with any type of fruit, juice and yogurt you like. Fresh fruit will also work, but I like frozen because it allows you to skip adding ice-so you avoid the drink becoming watery, and still have that nice "smoothie" consistency. A few others I plan to try are mixed berry, strawberry banana, and, if I can find the right ingredients to replicate it, blueberry pomegranate.
Oh, and P.S.-a lot of places add smoothie "mixes" to their drinks-mixes that are full of added sugars and are not 100% fruit or fruit juice. I just looked it up, and some of them have 200+ calories in a one ounce serving (and the smoothie recipe says to add 2 ounces)! Making your own smoothie creations at home is a great way to control your intake of nutritious foods. My peach smoothie gave me 1.5 cups toward my daily fruit recommendation, plus 1/3 cup toward milk from the yogurt, with very few discretionary calories, or "extras." Plus, I saved $$$-it's a win-win! I suppose the only downfall is the fact that you have to wash your own dishes-but according to the calorie calculator, I burned 17 calories for the five minutes of light housework I engaged in as I washed, dried, and put away my food processor!

2 comments:

  1. I always make my own, have them for breakfast all the time. My favorite is "green" smoothies combine fruit and greens - so healthy and getting your raw greens in but tastes like fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm....I'll have to try that! I love the "green plant" juice from TJ's. I'll bet it tastes a lot like that.

    ReplyDelete