Sunday, December 27, 2009

Homemade oatmeal

This morning, I woke up to snow falling outside! It didn't look like it would accumulate much, but it was a very pretty scene. I tried to take some pictures, but they didn't really do it much justice.

I decided to make oatmeal today....my usual wintertime breakfast. Lately I have been eating it every day, alternating between adding raisins or bananas.

Today, I decided to try something different. I started by chopping up a Red Delicious apple that I had sitting in the fridge.

















It probably amounted to about 3/4 cup


















Then I added a cup of skim milk and 1/2 cup of dry regular oats


















Microwave for about 3 minutes, then...


















I added 1/2 packet of Equal (just to sweeten things up a bit), about a tablespoon of chopped walnuts, and a nice dusting of cinnamon...and voila! Homemade apple cinnamon oatmeal.
Who needs the pre-packaged stuff? You can buy a huge package of regular or quick-cooking oats for less than a box of the packets. It doesn't take that much more time (depending on your chopping skills) Plus, this way you can control exactly what goes in it...no added sugars that you don't put in yourself. I think it tastes better this way, too!

After breakfast, it was time to hit the books...


















I'm taking the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) a week from Monday, so my winter break is not really going to be much of a break. Today I'm expanding my vocabulary and learning strategies for excelling in the verbal section of the test. I know, it sounds boring just reading about it.

I'm going to need some more caffeine!


7 comments:

  1. Yum! I love homemade oatmeal! I like to make what I call an "oatmeal mess" with quick oats, microwaved to perfection and topped with a dollop of almond butter and half of a chopped banana. It's delicious. I just might have to make your apple cinnamon oats tomorrow morning! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both for stopping by! The "oatmeal mess" sounds delicious. I'm always looking for new ideas to spice up my oatmeal-will have to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dena. Your oatmeal sounds delicious. Happy studying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Lots of comments, I see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dena! I found your blog through your comment on "Eat Like Me". I am applying for dietetic internships as well, and am totally interested in what you blog about. I just had to pop u a comment on this posting since you were studying for the GRE as well. It made me laugh how crazy things are for all of us dietetic majors at this time! I really hope everything goes well for you with the GRE and applying for internships. I'll be watching your posts b/c they're great! Have a fabulous upcoming semester :)
    -Angelina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Angelina!Good luck to you as well. Crazy times, indeed!

    ReplyDelete